Like some people, sure crops are extra comfy in pairs. Positive, they may survive on their very own, however to actually thrive, they want a particular (plant) somebody by their facet.
Recognized within the gardening world as “companion crops” or “helpmates,” these pairs have FWB (foliage-with-benefits) relationships. Usually, it includes issues like serving to one another supply vitamins or hold pesky backyard pests away. Consider it has the horticultural buddy system.
If this feels like one thing you may wish to strive in your individual backyard, Rachel Brougham at BobVila.com has some companion plant strategies. Listed here are a couple of to contemplate.
Crops that develop effectively in pairs
Want some assist enjoying plant matchmaker? Brougham has some suggestions:
- Pairs effectively with: Tomatoes, potatoes, beets, cabbage, beans, asparagus, eggplant, chili, bell peppers, marigolds
- Pairs effectively with: Crops within the cabbage household, carrots, celery, corn, cucumber, garlic, strawberries, marigolds
- Pairs effectively with: Cabbage, leeks, lettuce, onions, chives, peas
- Pairs effectively with: Beans, corn, peas, tomatoes, radishes, greens from the cabbage household, marigolds, oregano, nasturtium
Lettuce (together with romaine, Bibb and loose-leaf varieties)
- Pairs effectively with: Beets, carrots, onions, garlic, members of the cabbage household
Melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew)
- Pairs effectively with: Corn, pumpkins, radishes, squash, marigolds, oregano
Peppers (spicy or gentle)
- Pairs effectively with: Carrots, eggplant, onions, parsley, tomatoes, basil
- Pairs effectively with: Beans, cabbage household crops, corn, eggplant, peas, horseradish
Squash (butternut, carnival, different varieties)
- Pairs effectively with: Corn, melon, pumpkin, marigolds, oregano
- Pairs effectively with: Asparagus, carrots, celery, cucumbers, onions, parsley, peppers, basil, dill, chives, mint
Get pleasure from your bountiful harvest(s)! And should you’re undecided what to make along with your bumper crop of cucumbers and squash, there are many recipes and different strategies in Lifehacker’s Skillet vertical to maintain you well- and healthily-fed all summer season. Within the occasion you develop greater than you’ll be able to eat or give away, we even have loads of canning– and preserving-related content material to take a look at.