In the case of public talking, there are a number of items of recommendation we hear again and again: Know your viewers. Come ready. Make eye contact.
OK, nice, however for a wide range of causes, not everybody is ready to make eye contact whereas addressing a bunch, or having a one-on-one dialog. And given the truth that we’ve spent the previous yr cooped up in our properties and interacting with folks by way of our laptop screens, even those that have been comfy making eye contact earlier than may have a minute to get used to it once more.
However what in case you’re talking with somebody who doesn’t make eye contact? Must you push by way of and maintain trying them within the eye, or comply with their lead and look elsewhere? In a current article within the Huffington Publish, Caroline Bologna spoke with communication consultants to learn the way to navigate a tough eye contact state of affairs.
Ideas for talking with somebody who doesn’t make eye contact
Earlier than stepping into specifics, let’s take a second to acknowledge that not all cultures have the identical guidelines and requirements relating to eye contact.
“We place a whole lot of emphasis on eye contact, particularly in American tradition,” psychotherapist Annette Nunez instructed the Huffington Publish. And since it’s not at all times attainable to analysis an individual and their background earlier than having a dialog with them, when unsure, comply with their lead.
Different suggestions for having a dialog with somebody who doesn’t make eye contact discussed in Bologna’s article embrace:
- Don’t take it personally if an individual you’re talking with doesn’t make eye contact with you.
- Strategy the dialog with kindness and empathy.
- Accommodate the opposite particular person’s dialog type (together with their eye contact, or lack thereof).
- As an alternative of sitting face-to-face, change the setting and/or the place of the dialog, like speaking a stroll, or trying over the identical doc.
- Pay attention to whether or not you’re monopolizing the dialog (and don’t do it).
Principally, be affected person and type and roll with it.