Flooding can do some main harm to a automobile, even when it’s not instantly seen (as soon as it has been cleaned). Sadly, which means that some automobiles which can be irreparably harmed could also be shipped off and offered in different elements of the nation—particularly, locations much less vulnerable to flooding the place patrons is probably not conscious of this subject.
A car’s mechanical methods, electronics, and/or lubricants could have taken a success throughout a flood, however could seem like in good, working situation. Shopper Reviews has put collectively a information to assist folks spot flood-damaged automobiles earlier than shopping for them. Right here’s what to search for.
Indicators of flood harm on a automobile
So what, particularly, must you search for? Listed below are among the commonest indicators, courtesy of Shopper Reviews:
- Examine the carpets to see whether or not they present indicators of getting been waterlogged, similar to smelling musty or having caked-on mud. Model-new carpets in an older car could also be one other purple flag.
- Test the seat-mounting screws to see whether or not there’s any proof that they had been eliminated. To dry the carpets successfully, the seats should be eliminated and probably even changed.
- Examine the lights. A visual waterline should still present on the lens or reflector.
- Examine the difficult-to-clean locations, similar to gaps between panels within the trunk and underneath the hood, for mud and particles.
- Look on the underside edges of brackets or panels, the place grime wouldn’t settle normally.
- Take a look at the heads of any unpainted, uncovered screws underneath the dashboard. Naked steel will present indicators of rust in flooded automobiles.
- Test to see whether or not the rubber drain plugs underneath the automobile and on the underside of doorways look as if they’ve been eliminated not too long ago. That will have been accomplished to empty floodwater.
Lastly, some patrons are conscious of and anxious about buying a automobile with flood harm. So for those who’re promoting a car and occur to dwell in an space that not too long ago handled flooding, the crew at Shopper Reviews recommends taking your automobile to a mechanic for a checkup, and requesting documentation of its (non-flooded) situation.